The Beverly Area Planning Association (BAPA) is one of Chicago’s most successful grassroots civic organizations. Since 1947, we have worked to preserve and improve the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side. BAPA’s motto is Love Where You Live. Our mission is to sustain and enhance our safe, culturally diverse community. We do that with proactive, effective programs that unify residents, institutions and businesses around the common cause of nurturing Chicago’s best neighborhood. Our programs focus on issues that enhance our quality of life: safety, schools, housing, shopping, business services, communications, and beautification.
BAPA has benefited the last 3 years from a strong Executive Director, Margot Holland, who revitalized the organization by increasing membership, reorganizing staff, improving events, and expanding programming. Mrs. Holland is transitioning to a programming position so the Board of Directors is seeking a dynamic, experienced candidate to continue and expand on the progress of the past three years.
The Executive Director must be a proven leader who demonstrates an understanding of, and dedication to, the mission of BAPA to preserve and improve the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood. As the principal advocate and spokesperson for BAPA, the Executive Director must have the ability to engage and inspire staff, volunteers, local business owners, policymakers, educational institutions, faith based institutions, law enforcement, media, and elected officials. Attributes that will be highly valued in a candidate are excellent verbal and written communication skills, experience in community engagement, fundraising, development, and working with volunteer boards.
The candidate must reside in the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park neighborhood. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for BAPA’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. In fundraising, program development, event management, and organizational administration the Executive Director will:
- Assure that BAPA has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Manage BAPA staff of 1 full time employee, 3 part-time employees, 2 volunteer positions, freelancers and consultants.
- Work closely with volunteer Board of Directors to drive organizational goals, set annual budget, and ensure the overall vitality of the organization. The Executive Director will keep the board fully informed on the condition of the organization and important factors influencing it.
- Create and strengthen relationships with neighborhood and city stakeholders to ensure BAPA has a leadership role in creating policy and effecting change.
- Represent BAPA at community meetings, social events, and neighborhood activities. In addition to BAPA board and committee meetings, the evening commitment to this position is roughly 2 evenings per week.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of BAPA’s programming, fundraising, and community events.
- Develop strategies to increase income and financial stability through membership, grants, public and private partnerships, and major gifts.
- Report to maintain compliance with City grant requirements around BAPA’s local economic development goals.
- Work with staff to identify and develop programming to fulfill BAPA’s mission.
- Respond to neighborhood issues and incidents with a constant focus on working towards the goals stated in BAPA’s mission.
- Sustain and increase residential and business memberships.
- Oversee planning, sponsorship, and presentation of BAPA special events: Home Tour, Ridge Run, Memorial Day Parade, Beverly Hills Cycling Classic, Family Fun Nights, Sip and Shop, Tap Into BAPA, Cookie Crawl, and others.
- Manage Special Service Area (SSA) for 103rd Street business district. (SSAs are local tax districts that fund expanded services and programs through a localized property tax levy within contiguous areas.)
- Oversee property management consultants, vendors and agents in maintaining the physical property at 1987 West 111th owned by BAPA.
Applicants to should email a cover letter and resume to Maureen Gainer Reilly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start date: Immediate Salary Range $60,000-$70,000 BAPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.